Saturday, August 17, 2013

2013 Artisan Finalist Project #8

I can't say it enough that I LOVE this page! So let me tell you why. When I was working on this page I left it out on my table and my son picked it up and studied every detail. He came back to check it out all over again the next day. I'm telling you folks that is what scrappin' is all about; seeing others enjoy a page dedicated to all to them. If you are not aware I will let you know that everything you submit to Stampin' Up! becomes their property and they do not return any items. Even though I sent my copy of this page off to Stampin' Up! and cannot get that one back, I really can. I can print another from Stampin' Up!'s professional printing and have one for myself and my son--that's the beauty of creating in My Digital Studio.

For this page I started with a photo of my younger son Logan as the background paper and then turned the opacity to about 50%. Turning the opacity down is actually disguising the fact that this is not the greatest quality photo. You see it's really hard to get great photos when you shoot through safety glass at the hockey rink. Next I pulled in another action photo which I framed. Like my other hybrid scrapbook page I submitted, I printed two full size copies. One for the photo so I could crop it and mount it on the second page, I used lots of Stampin' Dimensionals to do that ;0)
Allow me to share a few more details that are special to me. First, I layered the smaller photo so that it did not cover Logan's number or name on the background photo as those are important details. As I was adding the brush stamps to the page I noticed that the word "fan" almost landed in the back label of Logan's helmet. With a little nudging I framed the word to fit perfectly in the label to create an easy highlight. The red swirl was included because it reminded me of some of the crazy skatin' and deekin' over the rink. For the journaling I decided to have it on a square path to create a border for the page. It reads as follows: "The Pioneer JV hockey team finished this year with a bang! After four games in one day the Mustangs won the championship game after going into three overtime periods. It was an all around stellar season and totally cool that Logan led the league in goals."
The only traditional elements I added to this page were 1/8" Mini Brads.  The first four brads represent Logan's number and the second two for his second season. The last two on the bottom right don't have any meaning, they just create balance. Thanks for letting me blab on and on. Do you enjoy scrappin' if so what is your favorite method?  Digital, traditional, or a mix of both?
From Dara Gloden
To Julie Warnick


MDS Stamp Brushes – MDS Seriously Awesome/Seriously Awesome – fanfreakintastic, Designer Kits/Neon Notes/Neon Notes - super great, Designer Kits/Neon Notes/Neon Notes - awesome day, Designer Kits/A Year in Review/A Year in Review – june, Designer Kits/A Year in Review/A Year in Review – 2012, Designer Kits/Fan Fair - embellishments/Fan Fair - frame 4
MDS Colors – Cherry Cobbler, Brilliant Blue, Basic Black
Paper – MDS Professional Printing (heavyweight)
Traditional Accessories – 1/8” Mini Brads, Stampin' Dimensionals

2 comments:

  1. I fell in love with this page when I saw it at Convention! I love a scrapbook page with a photo as the background paper! I love your use of so many different fonts and the mini brads (especially the way you used them!). GREAT page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MOST EXCELLENT!! What a FANTASTIC layout!! LOVE the photo-on-photo thing! And the text in a box?? Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete